Thursday, May 19, 2011

Greatest Place on Earth

The District of Columbia is a magical place. Same kind of magic as Disney World, but TOTALLY different location. I love everything about this city. I thought that I loved New York City more than any other American City, but that was before I spent a significant amount of time in DC. Now you may say that a week and a half isn't a significant amount of time, which I guess it isn't, but I love it here!

So for some reason... I ALWAYS find myself getting into the strangest/ funniest/ weirdest situations......
     For example, on Monday morning I accidentally knocked over our Chief of Staff's coffee all over his desk. Super embarrassing right? Luckily he is really young and the nicest guy ever and said it wasn't a big deal at all, but I still said 'I'm sorry!' about 25,000 times. I was just afraid I was going to get out on the DC Intern Blog-- the blog where they make fun of all the dumb stuff interns on The Hill do. Lucky for me, they haven't started to update it yet this summer.
     So part of my job (other than spilling coffee on important people's desks) is giving tours to constituents of the Capitol. Pretty sweet right? Well on Tuesday, our staff assistant wanted me to go take a tour from one of the people who work at the CVC (Capitol Visitor Center) before I had to give my first tour on Friday. We call the people that work at the CVC Red Coats because they are annoying, and they all have to wear these really unfortunate looking red blazers. Anyways... I took the underground tunnel to the CVC and then walked up the ticket counter with my special badge. #iworkforthegovernment  I then proceeded to flash my badge so I could get a free Walk- Up tour ticket. Our staff assistant had told me that it wasn't normally very busy at 11 AM- ish so he wanted me to go then to make sure I had a ticket. Well long story short, after standing around waiting on my tour for about 15 minutes one of the Red Coats told me the Capitol was closed until 2 PM for some Holocaust remembrance ceremony.  That's why the capitol seemed not very busy... duh! So when I got back to the office, I told our staff assistant that he sent me to the Capitol when it was closed... His response was: Whoops, I forgot!
     Today my entire afternoon was spent making bouncy balls out of a gazillion rubberbands and telling people about all the pranks I have played on my brother. It was a pretty eventful day if I do say so myself! I funny how when the House is not in session that we have SO MUCH free time on out hands....

I seriously think that sometimes God is getting a pretty good laugh about all the shenanigans I find myself in. I mean, if I am laughing at myself about it he's got to be rolling on the floor laughing. I guess that was kind of the inspiration for my blog title... Every time something funny happens to me, my first thoughts are: Who's laughing now?

DC pictures are to come... I've got to figure out where I packed my camera cord; also, reading my tweets can sometimes give you a much funnier insight on the day to day duties of an intern. Follow me! @lexicarter13

I am going to leave y'all with a YouTube video that I just saw a few minutes ago, but I am already OBSESSED with it. I love creeping on other people's wedding pictures and marriage proposals.

No comments:

Post a Comment